Thursday 21 October 2010

Practically perfect


Cycle hire, car-free cycle route, lawns and trees, and even a modern, working water fountain. It's in Hyde Park at the top end of the cycle path that runs along Park Lane.

Why only practically perfect? I didn't realise the sculpture was a water fountain! And, from checking for users over a few days as I pass, I suspect I'm not alone.


A great thing about the Royal Parks (I'm quite often cycling through Hyde Park and Regent's Park) is that their drinking fountains always seem to work. Okay, so you need to stick your finger up the spout of the one on Broad Walk in Regent's Park to make it work...but that's probably why the Parks have a competition to design a new 'standard' drinking fountain.



Let's hope the South Bank are paying attention.